December 7, 2011

Kris & Lara | 11.25.11 | New York Wedding Photographer

...The Wedding of the Century...

Before I start, I need to clarify to my past brides that I did not coin this event 'The Wedding of the Century'...the bride did! Yes, I play along, but I would never classify one person's wedding as better or more important than anyone else's. ;)

 Although, Kris thought this was going to be The Wedding of the Century, her wedding day started off just like any other. The normal pre-wedding preparations were in full swing when I arrived at the Barn on The Pond. Yep just like every wedding...the dude in flannel pajama pants and black leather loafers hauling trash cans past the Streamline, and the Broadway performer limbering up in the kitchen as he scrambles eggs.


All joking aside, the weddings I've had the opportunity to shoot have evoked very familiar feelings.  No matter how different the couples, the guests, the decor - the sentimental vibe is usually pretty similar. Most people are full of excitement, optimism and joy. 

Besides the aforementioned shenanigans, Kris and Lara's wedding started off almost identical to every other wedding...

There was a beautiful dress.


There were pretty shoes and sparkly rings.


There were curling irons, bobby pins and hair spray.



There were flowers, a guestbook (of sorts) and people gawking at a tree trimmer.




Kris and Lara's wedding had candles, cocktails, and bottle caps.




 There were last minute hugs, dog supervised rehearsals and big baby yawns.





 As it neared showtime, there was nervous laughing, button sewing and necklace clasping.




There were photos of the gorgeous couple, their fabulous families, and the Barn before guests arrive.










{Photographer's Favorite #1}
I cannot put my finger on what it is about this one, but I love it!  I am not sure if it's the focus on the  rafters or the interesting outdoor lights or if it's the happy, natural and slightly blurred faces of the brides.







 Then it was time. 
Time for the state of New York to allow these two lovely women the right to marry one another.
Right about 4pm, this wedding started to feel different.  Kris and Lara's ceremony was by far the most heartfelt and touching I've ever experienced. 

{Photographer's Favorite #2}
I snapped this one as they walked quickly down the aisle. I know it's blurry, but it's still a favorite. I love how Kris and Lara are both beaming as the wedding is about to start. I don't see nerves or anxiety...just love! (...and a slow shutter speed)


The wedding was intimate - only 40 guest. Everyone was either family or close friends of the couple. 



Every word uttered came directly from someone's heart. Every song sounded like it was written for that particular moment. 









And then came the vows. They were so beautiful. So sincere. So perfect.
Literally everyone in the Barn was crying - including me...


and the caterers! 



It was awesome to hear Carlos, speaking on behalf of the State of New York, introduce Kris and Lara as a married couple.

 

After the kiss, the party began! There were drinks, food and music.





Lots of singing, dancing, and even some cartwheels.


Gifts were given, notes were written and stories were shared.



 The Black Eyed Peas, a polka and The Humpty Dance kept guests on the dance floor.


Did I mention singing? Yeah, there was a whole lot of singing. 


There was hand holding, group hugging and head resting.


{Photographer's Favorite #3}
I love this candid family photo of Carlos, Joe and sweet baby Luca.




{Photographer's Favorite #4}
I love this photo of Kris and Lara so much. I hope it reminds the brides that even though the wedding is over, the guests have left, and the music has stopped - love remains. Strong and steady love remains.

Thank you, Kris and Lara for allowing me to be part of your beautiful barn wedding. I wish you happiness wherever you go...and my hope is that one day people will be able to marry whomever they love right in their own backyard....without needing to transport 100 Ball jars to New York.



4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Thank you for your nice article on Julie Stephenson photography blog spot.
    I like for your good writing.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photographs by an amazing photographer who captured the heart and soul of our wedding! Best decision ever to fly Julie half way across the country on Thanksgiving to chronicle the wedding of the century! Her photo blog is simply superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look at these every day and I'm reminded of how incredibly perfect that day was. Thank you, Julie, for flying out, jumping in, and surviving the insanity of the event! You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely incredible...may I share this link on my FB page? I am so proud of you all...Julie...this is fabulous..it makes me sick I could not be there...but just too much in my life that needs tending right now..

    ReplyDelete